6 Tips for Cleaning Canvas Awnings and Canopies
This month, Allegro Blinds will be taking a look at how home and business owners can keep their awnings and canopies clean. Appropriately caring for your precious awnings and canopies is absolutely essential, especially when they’re built to welcome guests approaching your homes and shop fronts. As you can imagine with bouts of burning sun and heavy rain, it’s easy for them to become weather worn in just a matter of weeks. Our aim is to share our tips on how to clean and maintain your canvas awnings and canopies for a professional finish.
Canvas awnings are typically used for shop fronts, businesses and the home, usually over a patio or garden. They’re a highly attractive asset that look great when they’re installed and really add the ‘wow’ factor. Remember, appearances matter, and so does your buildings! So like everything, they must be maintained in order to keep everything looking pristine.
Here are six tips to help you with your cleaning:
- Pre-rinse with a low-pressure power washer or hose, to remove any easy to lift dust and dirt.
- Clean the underside of your awning as well as the top! When cleaning the underside, do check carefully, as it’s not unusual for small birds and bees to nest here. Once you’ve checked it’s safe, clean with a hose or pressure washer.
- Start from the bottom when cleaning to avoid unnecessary streaks.
- If you do spot mildew, use an appropriate mildew remover as other products like bleach will cause staining and discolour the fabric; soak with water before spraying.
- Scrub in circular motions as you apply water, as the mildew spray should not be allowed to dry on the canvas.
- Consider using waterproofing spray, UV-ray protectant and sealer to ensure your canvas awning is adequately protected between washes.
Maintaining your canopies are a must; ensure that they’re looking great for guests and ready for any event so you’re never taken by surprise. Avoid mould and dirt damaging your fabulous feature permanently with six simple tips:
- Use a brush to remove any dirt or dust.
- Hose your canopy down with water to clear away any mud.
- If you spot water stains this will require a little powder detergent and warm water.
- Create thick soapy layers, section by section to remove the dirt and mould.
- Brush in circular motions and wash away quickly so the detergent doesn’t dry and damage your canopy.
- Air your canvas out and ensure it’s fully dry before folding away.
Allegro Blinds want to make sure that your canvas awnings and canopies stay looking great all year round, so you can always proudly show off your building’s attractive features. With just six simple tips, you can avoid the embarrassment of guests and visitors spotting a dirty awning/canopy. Simply sit back, relax and enjoy the view.