Choosing Between Window Shutter Materials
Internal window shutters are a fantastic addition to any home, being very attractive to look at, but also helping you to keep your home warmer during the winter months through added insulation, and keeping your home cool in the summer by keeping out the beating sunlight. You can open and close them as you see fit, making controlling the temperature of your home a breeze whatever time of the year.
When it comes to choosing the right shutters for your home, however, there are a range of materials and finishes available. With something to suit every home, budget and taste, take a look at the Allegro Blinds range of shutters:
One of the most luxurious ways to enhance your property, wooden shutters are probably the most customisable shutters featured in this post. Allowing a traditional look, these shutters also suit modern homes.
- Can be stained or painted to suit any decor
- Real wood is often lighter than people expect
- Custom sizing and shaping is easier with wood
- Present a luxurious look and feel to any room
- Low maintenance
- Humidity and moisture could warp wood – they are therefore not suitable for bathrooms
- Can be a more expensive option
- Cannot be cleaned with harsh chemical products
For a shutter which performs in any room, PVC shutters are always popular. While not suitable for the look of every home, they do the job well and are great for family homes because of their simple style.
- Resistant to humidity and water – suitable for any room
- Easy to clean with almost any cleaning product
- Will not warp or flake in the sunlight
- Not suitable for buildings in conservation areas
- Cannot be painted or stained
Combining the structural integrity of wood with the durable and low maintenance finish of PVC, MDF shutters can offer the best of both worlds. While slightly heavier, this material is still a great choice for many homes.
- More affordable than real wood shutters
- Easy to clean and maintain with vinyl coating
- Available in a range of whites and creams
- Cannot be stained or painted
- Heavier than wooden shutters
- Less luxurious than real wood shutters
At Allegro Blinds we provide a whole host of plantation shutters, helping you to gain better thermal control and add to the beauty of your home or decor.
Our expert team are always on hand to provide advice on which style and material will suit your needs, so if you’re still not sure which to choose, simply contact us today or pop into your local branch where you can see our quality shutters for yourself.